Saturday, September 5, 2009

Prometheus Luther King, Jr.

“You can’t change the world.”

I’m not sure why we hear this said, why we say it, or why we so often feel inclined to believe it.

First let me pause in order to point out that, although it is a common misconception, I’m not an optimist. Rather, what you might call me is “good-natured.”

I make the distinction, traveler, to give you the opportunity to dissuade yourself from tuning out what you might have regarded as the ravings of a rose-colored woman.

You’re actually influencing the world in every interaction you have, perhaps for the better, for the worse, or maybe neither. Truly, it would be difficult to say. Nonetheless, my approach will ever be to remain aware that just because I might not make a difference, or I might not be able to tell if I’ve made a difference, I desire to seek after that which is just.

No comments: