Monday, August 31, 2009

Who Shot Mr. MacGuffin?



The MacGuffin is that ellusive plot element in film that impels the story toward its culminating purpose. In many cases the MacGuffin is completely insubstantial. For instance, the green light emanating from the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. That specific element is also called Agalma (in philosophy) or even the Objet Petit-a (in psychology). Other examples include Rosebud in Citizen Kane and the monster in Cloverfield. Sometimes the MacGuffin plays a huge role in the film as a means to distract the audience from realizing that they are becoming emotionally involved in the development of the characters they are observing, and in the end the MacGuffin loses meaning or is cast aside, if not completely forgotten. Take for instance Solomon's diamond in Blood Diamond. The coveted jewel is all but denounced, thus creating the same emotion for the audience that exists inside the main character: regret for ever having cared.

On some occasions the MacGuffin is apparent and despite any obstacle or trial will be satisfied in the end, like in the film Children of Men. In this film the MacGuffin is satisfied even though it means a tragic end for characters we've come to care about. In the Mel Brook's classic High Anxiety, Mel makes fun of the MacGuffin by depicting a mysterious phone call from one Mr. MacGuffin. What I'm leading up to here is the recent atmospheric change in the film industry in relation to the MacGuffin. Personally, I blame Eli Roth. Were it not for his approach to horror film as a main character aggrandizing heyday to take out on the bad guys that which we've spent years building up in our cinematic minds (I heart Eli Roth) then Quentin Tarantino would never have caught wind of the notion and perfected it. First, Death Proof. We all know this was the film that Quentin and Eli really got their balls out on and made the decision to go for it. Don't get me wrong, a lot of Eli's content is crap. It’s his approach I respect.

Now folks, I give you Inglourious Basterds: A superbly told fairy tale in the highest regard. **SPOILER ALERT** The MacGuffin is the violence, and it is constantly dangled before us like it were a piece of bloody meat and we are famished wolves, but never withheld eternally. Each act leading to higher and HIGHER climax until our desire is finally fulfilled to its utmost extreme. So I ask again... who shot Mr. MacGuffin? Eli Roth did*. He shot his fucking face right off his fucking head.



I'd like to take a brief moment to warn you all about an upcoming review I intend to do (after I watch the film) of the movie Antichrist, starring Willem Dafoe. Its a movie I've been looking forward to seeing for some time. When I saw the trailor I felt the intensity, and yes, unabashed violence made it worth a watch for me. Not to mention I consider director Lars von Trier a respectable filmmaker and tend to follow his work.** I guess the reason I feel the need to warn you is because I don't know if I will come back from this expedition or in what form.*** Two dear friends of mine, both full grown males straight up and down, watched it and were by their own assertion "permanently traumatized". One of them, a self made horror movie connoisseur, actually had to close his eyes during some parts. They're probably overreacting. Probably. They called it "gratuity for gratuity's sake". But I find it hard to believe that Mr. Dafoe would partake in a film that had no theme or purpose.**** So, as I set out on this perilous journey I hope that I will return to you in one peice and capable of reporting my findings. And if I do not return remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

* Well, Quentin did too, indirectly.
** When it doesn't suck.
*** Wishful thinking. :)
**** Mr. Bean's Holiday!!

2 comments:

Avis said...

The warning for Antichrist stands... but not for everyone I suppose.

Mab said...

Holy crap. Those guys are pussies.