Tuesday, August 4, 2009

If the baby isn't real, leave it on the stove.


Welcome. I'd like to establish some guidelines, right off the bat if I could, for how this little exercise in narcissism is going to play out. First off, I want to invite any and all to discussion whenever you feel the desire. If you hate or love something we post, I wanna hear all about it. One might say I like to debate... that I'm argumentative. But don't listen to them ‘cause they weren't listening to me. What I do is consider. I like it. I like to take all possibilities into consideration. And when all logical possibilities have been considered, I like to muse on the illogical. Some might say that means I'm fair and intellectual and looking for what’s right for me. But don't listen to them... they only heard part of what I was saying. In truth, I am a nihilist. Not because I believe in nothing, but because I don't believe in anything. No, that doesn't mean I don't care about anything, or that I don’t have an ice cream preference, or that I let hygiene go by the way side. I care deeply. With a little bit of Googling and some chit chat, all that I just said might not sound so contradictory. But I'm not here to debate the definition of nihilism or my interpretation of it. Scratch that. I am here to debate nihilism, but only on a case by case basis.

Today I'd like to focus my efforts on debate in and of itself and, appropriately I feel, establish a sense of communication that will be important for you, the reader (if, in fact, you exist). My words are but a mere approximation of that ugly tacit knowledge that we all hold too close to make communicable, and so I'd like to make sure we understand each other, you and I. No circle talking. No semantic arguments. I won't deny your comments. And here at Time Travel for Beginners we encourage free thinking no matter how stupid it is. I tend to be pretty respectful of other people's opinions and comments but I by no means expect that from our reader(s). Nor will I deny you the opportunity of fighting amongst yourselves. Please feel free to be as open and respectful or closed minded and disrespectful as you like. All I ask is that you put some thought into it and try to have conviction in your statements.

More importantly, I'd like to find a common ground with the world, wherein I can feel as though we are on the same wavelength when it comes to the analytic and synthetic (See Immanuel Kant's Critique Of Pure Reason conveniently linked for you in the reading list). I want to feel myself giving to the community of communication and know when it’s giving back. I think the best way for me to introduce my personal approach to conveying concepts would be to tell this story:

When I was a little girl, I loved to play house. My family was poor, but I still had the whole setup; I had my baby doll and my play stove (back then they were aluminum) with pots and pans. This one time, another little girl came over to play with me. Everything was going just fine. I was making a pretend dinner while she was taking care of the pretend baby. And then right in the middle of everything, she left the baby on the stove. I was alarmed and upset by this. How could she so quickly go from caring for the baby, and convincingly might I add, to utter and detrimental disregard of the child? I collected myself and told her simply that she could not leave a baby on the stove because the baby could be hurt. She defensively remarked that neither the baby nor the stove were real. I was taken aback. I thought to myself, well of course they're not real. I'm not a crazy person. But if we’re not going to act is if all this is real, then what the hell are we doing here? I really never stopped thinking about that.

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter if it’s real.

Also I'd like to give a big thanks to Sparkles of Psychedelic Kimchi for his tip of the hat on our debut. I've been a secret reader of that blog for a long time now and only recently became a "Constant Retard" when I decided to enter the blogging community. If you haven't had a look at PK, then do. Seriously guys, there’s some important knowledge there. Being among a small population of FEMALE North American gamers, I learned quite a bit about what I missed out on while I was busy learning to put on makeup and wear sideways ponytails (wasted youth). Come for a dose of pertinent information you didn't know you needed till now. Stay for the endlessly entertaining inside jokes and (most recently) incredibly intriguing lists of nameless wonder.

Up next a word from my other. But tune in next time for a review of Promethea #1, written by Alan Moore. (That's a comic book, kiddies)

No comments: